Skip to main content

Sawdust and Blood

Sawdust and Blood The first time was a man lying on 8th in front of the bus station. I was just a kid. A small clot of passersby, gawkers, stood silent sure that they should do something but uncertain what. An old woman blessed herself and whispered a prayer. Someone finally called EMS but life had already limped away by the time they arrived. The cops came with yellow tape. It’s meant to mark where life ends and death begins. But it had already trespassed into the eyes of living. The medical examiner came and made a few notes and the EMS lifted him into a bag. A cop began to argue over who was going to write it up. Another began to spread sawdust on the spot. Then straw. Sawdust soaks up blood. So does shoe leather and time. The straw is meant to cover it all. Eventually the wind takes hold and sweeps it away like there was never anything there like a heart that finally quit beating against worry or a dream that gave up it's ghost. I went by that spot a thousand times after. It looked like any other concrete. But there is no sawdust for memory. I always walked around the spot like it had been touched by something terrible and eternal. The next time was in an emergency room. I had broken a blood vessel in my leg. It turned purple and swollen and they wanted X-rays. I couldn’t really walk so they put me on a stretcher with wheels then rolled it into a cue in a hallway filled with a couple dozen others lying on beds with wheels. I was there for a few hours waiting right next to an old man…face to face. So eventually we began to talk. He was a mason. Real Italian. Came here because he wanted to be American. He talked about his children grown and gone. He told me about his wife and still being in love after so many decades. He was a baseball fan. He said he didn’t like going to the park anymore but never missed a game on the radio. He asked if he could listen, would it bother me. No of course not. So lying next to each other in a hospital hallway, two strangers, we listened to the game. Baseball is a kind of time machine. Baseball soaks up years like sawdust does blood. It connects men to their boyhoods and then to each other. Baseball is for the Davids of this world. It doesn’t require the Goliath size of basketball and football. And though the odds are long in baseball, one bat against nine gloves, its always the same ancient story. One man starting at home, leaves alone and then tries with all his might to return to it. That day the game ended with a home run, a long fly ball that cleared the left field wall. The crowd cheered. The radio battery faded and then died. I noticed that he was quiet, tired I thought, from waiting to be seen. Tired of it all. From carrying Time. A nurse came up, touched him on the shoulder and quietly called his name. Worried, she took his pulse then sighed like someone who spent 80 hours a week flailing away at calamity. Then she gently pulled the sheet up and wheeled him away. I was stunned at the suddenness of it. At how quietly it came. How it had come so close to me without me recognizing it. I rolled off the stretcher and hobbled away as heartbroken for a stranger as I have ever been. But in the years since it has changed. I think something like sawdust or shoe leather soaked up the sorrow. Now I think of his soul, like a long fly ball. I think of his life clearing some left field fence. And I think of a crippled old man once more a boy. Running for home. And all I hear now is a crowd somewhere on it's feet. Cheering. WLM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Someday I'll Learn To Fly

Someday I’ll Learn to Fly  Will Maguire   copyright@2018 Once there was a jungle and in the jungle was a river. And the river was full of mud. There each day a herd of rhinoceros swam. Among them was a very young rhino and like all rhinos he played in the mud and ran with the herd.  But at night when the jungle was quiet, flying high above the river, he could see birds.  One day he asked his mother  ‘Mama…will I ever fly?’ She shook her head “No son. The birds have the air and we have the mud.” “No rhino will ever fly.”  And the young rhino was sad. That night he awoke to the sound of a great wind and a light like a star in the sky. And high above the jungle, flying like a bird, he saw a very old rhino.  The next day he told his father  “Last night I saw an old rhino fly away.” “It was just a dream son. No rhino will ever fly.” his father said.  "Be grateful for the mud.” The young rhino looked at the river then

Mother's Day

Mother's Day The last time my mother knew me was a few years ago on Mother's Day. She had started forgetting and remembering in the wrong order. Forgetting the things around her, remembering the distant past...like Time was suddenly dyslexic. They had her in this hospital ward for the elderly on some back street off the main drag called Memory Lane Memory Lane would be funny if it wasn’t so cruel. Sometimes living's the same way. She kept asking for a mirror but didn't recognize herself anymore. She was 17 again but trapped in an 80 year old body. A young girl staring in disbelief at the person she would become. She didn’t know her husband or daughters or sons anymore. Some days she thought I was her long dead uncle or her brother. And near the end she thought I was her father. She pleaded with me again and again to let her see that Irish boy that was just back from the war, the one that got shot in the head and survived and kept knocking on the door
Inseparable                                                               W. Maguire  copyright 2016 When I was 17 and living on my own,certain that I knew more about anything than anyone around me, I took a job for a few months as a janitor at an old folks home. My friends called it the Home for the Nearly Dead.  It was out at the edge of town far from view, like it was slowly being pushed out there to the very precipice of living. The building was a sad and decrepit little place with peeling paint and linoleum floors and a funeral home next door. That part of town had its own zip code and some of the townspeople called it the Hereafter, like it was a final stop between living and whatever comes later. Passing through one day I saw a help wanted sign and answered it.  I was poor and dumb and usually hungry and broke so I was always looking for another job. They hired me on the spot. The people there were so old I thought they were another species. Kind of human…but not lik