Skip to main content

Guardian Angels

I don’t believe in luck or fate or coincidence. I don’t believe that planes can fly above heartache. And I don’t believe any car is fast enough to ever catch a dream. But I believe in trains. Trains can take you places no car or plane ever could. Trains go beneath the surface, to the heart of things. And I believe in guardian angels. Because one night I took a subway train to Chinatown in New York City, I was saved by one, and somehow that same night, I became one. At 18, I was a naïve, dark-haired college basketball player, certain I was headed for the Hall of Fame. One night, after a game in Madison Square Garden, I got drunk. As drunk as I have ever been. Waiting for the subway, I got separated from my friends. Uptown was home and downtown was lost. I stepped on the express train to lost. At night in Manhattan, roaring through dark tunnels, it’s easy to lose your way. Being lost is a little like being stupid. Usually you don’t know you are. And that night I was both. Alone, drunk, and now sick, I got on and off train after train. Then, exhausted, I stepped off onto a deserted platform in Chinatown. I slumped on one of the commuter benches and passed out. Much later, I felt someone shake me and looked up into the face of a stranger. “You don’t belong here,” he said. I tried to answer, but I was speaking the untranslatable language of Budweiser. After a moment, the man said, “Come with me.” He got me to my feet and helped carry me up onto the streets of Chinatown. We waited there in the dark, until finally, the stranger hailed a Checker Cab. “Get in,” he said. And as we drove up onto East River Drive, I passed out again. Sometime later, I came to. The stranger was shaking me. It was dawn, and we were in front of my college. “You’re home,” he said. I looked into his face. “Who are you?” I asked. “Never mind that,” he answered. I got out, staggered and fell then stumbled to my dorm. I was sick for two days, the worst hangover of my life. Word spread across the campus. I had been saved. Saved by a guardian angel. A couple months later, I got a call from a friend asking me to join him in Connecticut, fifty miles away, for a party. I agreed but there was no train and I had no car. All I had was my thumb. In the afternoon cold, I shivered by the highway trying to get a ride. It began to snow. As late winter darkness fell, I was about to give up. One more car, I told myself. A VW hurtled by, then slowed, and stopped. I ran, jumped in and thanked the driver, a man in his mid-thirties with sad eyes. As we drove, he kept glancing at me, and I began to have a feeling that I had met him somewhere. Finally I said, “You look so familiar. Do I know you?” He stared ahead into the black and the deepening snow. “You don’t remember?” he asked. Then he told me a story. “I’m a drunk,” he said. “Not a ‘get-tuned-up-on-a-Friday-night’ kind of drunk. I’m a ‘too-much-ain’t-enough’ drunk. But three years ago I met a girl and fell in love, and it changed me. I stopped drinking. But after years of bars, I needed someplace to go when the urge hit. I’m a college basketball fanatic, so every time I wanted a drink, I’d find a game instead.” I listened and stared at him, trying to recall his face. “A couple months ago I was at her place in Chinatown,” he said. “In the middle of the night, we had a terrible fight. We had talked a little about getting married. She said ‘we belong together’, but all I could think was, ‘I’m just a drunk. I’ll screw this up just like I have every other thing I’ve ever done.” So I said, ‘I need more time.' She blew up and ended it and I walked out. Standing on the street at 3am I decided three years sober was long enough. I was gonna find as much gin as there was in Manhattan to pour it on my heartache. But when I walked down into the subway, I saw this drunk kid passed out.” “Me?” I asked. He nodded. “I recognized you. I’d seen you play a couple times and knew what college you went to. Just then a train came through and stopped. I was about to get on when I turned and looked back at you. I had to decide. Go crawl into a bottle or help you crawl out. The gin could wait. I dragged you up onto the street and into a cab.” Darkness was all around the VW now and a blizzard of white swirled around us. “As you got out of the cab, I watched as you stumbled away. The driver asked, ‘Where to?’ I saw you stagger and fall, then get to your feet and disappear inside the gate. ‘So what’s it gonna be, Bub?’ the driver asked. I took a deep breath. Whats it gonna be. Alcohol or love. “Chinatown” I said. The deserted highway stretched before us, and snow filled the dark with white. “We’ll be married this summer,” he said. We drove on in silence through the snowstorm. The drunk that saved a lost boy and the lost boy that saved a drunk, through some unspeakable mystery, put in each others path. And later in the dark, he pulled to the side of the road to let me out near my destination. As I stepped out, I turned to him and said, “My friends called you my guardian angel" "You saved me.” “No,” he said. “If you had not been there, lost and drunk, I would’ve made a dive into a bottle and never climbed out. I would’ve lost the girl and then myself forever. "You saved me.” I closed the car door, with the black sky above and the snow swirling all around me. And I stood there watching the tail lights disappear into the night. Sometimes I have an odd feeling.That this face I wear is not my own. That I am not who I think I am. That there is someone else quietly clamoring inside me. That he is whispering as loud as he can that I should remember. Remember who I really am. What I have been all along. When I was 18, my hair was dark. Now when I look in the mirror, all I see is a blizzard of white. For decades, my heart was as black as coal. Now some nights all I feel is white ash burning away the black at its edges. And sometimes just before sleep I still see a stranger who saved me. A stranger who I saved. I don’t believe in luck or fate or coincidence. But I do believe in guardian angels. I met one and once long ago I became one. Now sometimes when my back aches, I think maybe… just maybe... I am finally growing wings. WLM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day

Mother's Day The last time my mother knew me was a few years ago on Mother's Day. She had started forgetting and remembering in the wrong order. Forgetting the things around her, remembering the distant past...like Time was suddenly dyslexic. They had her in this hospital ward for the elderly on some back street off the main drag called Memory Lane Memory Lane would be funny if it wasn’t so cruel. Sometimes living's the same way. She kept asking for a mirror but didn't recognize herself anymore. She was 17 again but trapped in an 80 year old body. A young girl staring in disbelief at the person she would become. She didn’t know her husband or daughters or sons anymore. Some days she thought I was her long dead uncle or her brother. And near the end she thought I was her father. She pleaded with me again and again to let her see that Irish boy that was just back from the war, the one that got shot in the head and survived and kept knocking on the door

Someday I'll Learn To Fly

Someday I’ll Learn to Fly  Will Maguire   copyright@2018 Once there was a jungle and in the jungle was a river. And the river was full of mud. There each day a herd of rhinoceros swam. Among them was a very young rhino and like all rhinos he played in the mud and ran with the herd.  But at night when the jungle was quiet, flying high above the river, he could see birds.  One day he asked his mother  ‘Mama…will I ever fly?’ She shook her head “No son. The birds have the air and we have the mud.” “No rhino will ever fly.”  And the young rhino was sad. That night he awoke to the sound of a great wind and a light like a star in the sky. And high above the jungle, flying like a bird, he saw a very old rhino.  The next day he told his father  “Last night I saw an old rhino fly away.” “It was just a dream son. No rhino will ever fly.” his father said.  "Be grateful for the mud.” The young rhino looked at the river then

Higher Power

Higher Power Will Magui re Years ago, as a much younger man, I worked for a short time on a fishing boat off the Cape. The job was mainly hauling nets and pouring the catch into holds and cleaning the decks. But this was near the whale routes, so every once in a while, when the sea was quiet, I could feel something great and close — but always hidden beneath the surface. The waves would shudder slightly, and though I could never see it clearly, there was the feeling of a presence larger and closer than it should be. Powerful but hidden. Terrible and beautiful at once. Sometimes if I looked at just the right moment I could see its shadow. And every once in a great while the shadow would come crashing through the surface — visible for just an instant before being pulled back below. When I was growing up, my folks had a house near the transformer that was the main electrical line into town. It was a large steel tower draped with thick cables. Most of the tim