Skip to main content

Protecting the Unprotectable

Protecting the Unprotectable

copyright@2019
Will Maguire

Many years ago, as a teenage boy, I fell in love with a girl... or perhaps better put, I thought it was love.

It was really only the first hopeful version of it. All expectation...long the get and short on give. This was before I knew anything about the sacrifice or selflessness it always demands.

Her mother had died young that year of cancer and her death cut a hole in the girl. Her father, a lawyer, believed his faith had been betrayed. So every night he tried to wash his grief away, usually with gin.

The hole in the girl grew and then like a torn sweater, she began to unravel.

I used to go by her house in the middle of the night, tap on her window and we would whisper thru the screen about how I was going to save her and how she was going to save me.

I lived by the sea then and some nights she would sneak out and we would go to the beach. She would lie in my arms sobbing.

I tried my best to save her, to protect that unprotectable part of her. But there was a part that was unreachable and inconsolable.

We finished school and she ran away out west where she met and married a man who in short order began to beat her. And as these things usually go, bad became worse.

After all the blackened eyes and a broken jaw, he ended up throwing her down a flight of stairs, breaking her back. He left her there in that dark basement for a couple days. Said she must have fallen.

They divorced, but by then something in her...something already fragile...had broken away completely.

I was living in New York and once every couple years, usually in the middle of the night, she began to call me. She was always in a new city out west, always a little scattered, always a little frantic. In full flight from the future, seeking some respite in the past. The boy on that beach. The whisperer promising to save her thru that screen...trying to protect the unprotectable.

The last time she called I told her to stop chasing the past. That whisperer doesn't exist anymore I hollered. He was long gone. She had the wrong number. He and I just happened to have the same name.

She dropped the phone and I called out to her for a minute before the line went dead.

She died in a car crash a year later. 100 mph down a dead end street. Full of nevers.

So I blamed her husband. I blamed the flight of stairs. I blamed her mother for dying young and her father for his contagious and inconsolable grief.

And of course I blamed myself.

I have five sisters. One of them married a tall good looking basketball player. A few years into their marriage, he began to beat her. Not slapping around. Closed fist. Beatings.

He was a big guy, a man, at least in that one respect, and he hurt her badly. They eventually split and when she finally explained why I remember feeling my blood run cold. When I think of it now I still feel my vision narrow and my heart begin to swing away like it had arms and fists.

Trying once again to protect the unprotectable.

A couple years later while staying with my folks, my mother woke me in the middle of the night. This guy was passing through on a bus. He called. Wanted to talk. My mother asked if I would go meet him.

I pulled on some clothes and drove to the bus station. He was in the deserted waiting area as I walked in. He stood, smiled and walked toward me ...his hand out.

I walked toward him feeling my heart growing arms with every step. When I reached him it swung as hard as it could and I felt my knuckles break open as I connected.

He went down, shock on his face. And I recall standing over him hollering about my sister and thinking about my high school girl, broken at the bottom of a staircase.

I cannot stop the world. And I cannot protect the unprotectable past. But I thought, I can damn sure let my cold blood run. Just to let the world know there is no free pass...and no unearned forgiveness.

And to this day when I see a guy getting his ass kicked I think he probably deserves it....if not for some proximate cause then for something in his past.

But if I see a woman getting slapped around or worse... I'm all in. Everytime.

I'm usually thinking about my sister or my old girlfriend. I'm thinking about the whisperer I was and the sobbing girl on a beach...trying to prevent what cant really be prevented...trying to protect what cant be protected.

I think of all this today because I have been remembering a girl I never met, an American aide worker who went to Syria to try and help refugees.

It was a selfless and senseless act that makes me want to reach and shake everyone like her, whispering thru the screens of their good hearts about how they are going to save something like innocence...that is unprotectable.

I want to tell her the world doesn't care about your charity. Then I want to cut out my own tongue.

She was, of course, kidnapped and, according to a Washington Post report, made into a sex slave by Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi the head of ISIS. He raped her repeatedly, then tortured her. Then he beat her to death, all in the name of his warped ideology.

She was 27. 100 mph down another dead end street and full of nevers. Never made it home, never married, never had a kid.

And once more I begin to feel my heart swing away.

None of us can stop the outrageous and perverse cruelties of the world. They reimagine themselves in a million new ways each day. And though we try again and again,we cannot protect the unprotectable.

But today I find myself thinking of justice. It a small thing and usually late.

Yesterday brought news of al-Baghdadi’s death by suicide vest. In the end he destroyed himself.

The truth is he did so years ago.

His body just caught up to his soul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day

Mother's Day The last time my mother knew me was a few years ago on Mother's Day. She had started forgetting and remembering in the wrong order. Forgetting the things around her, remembering the distant past...like Time was suddenly dyslexic. They had her in this hospital ward for the elderly on some back street off the main drag called Memory Lane Memory Lane would be funny if it wasn’t so cruel. Sometimes living's the same way. She kept asking for a mirror but didn't recognize herself anymore. She was 17 again but trapped in an 80 year old body. A young girl staring in disbelief at the person she would become. She didn’t know her husband or daughters or sons anymore. Some days she thought I was her long dead uncle or her brother. And near the end she thought I was her father. She pleaded with me again and again to let her see that Irish boy that was just back from the war, the one that got shot in the head and survived and kept knocking on the door

Someday I'll Learn To Fly

Someday I’ll Learn to Fly  Will Maguire   copyright@2018 Once there was a jungle and in the jungle was a river. And the river was full of mud. There each day a herd of rhinoceros swam. Among them was a very young rhino and like all rhinos he played in the mud and ran with the herd.  But at night when the jungle was quiet, flying high above the river, he could see birds.  One day he asked his mother  ‘Mama…will I ever fly?’ She shook her head “No son. The birds have the air and we have the mud.” “No rhino will ever fly.”  And the young rhino was sad. That night he awoke to the sound of a great wind and a light like a star in the sky. And high above the jungle, flying like a bird, he saw a very old rhino.  The next day he told his father  “Last night I saw an old rhino fly away.” “It was just a dream son. No rhino will ever fly.” his father said.  "Be grateful for the mud.” The young rhino looked at the river then

Higher Power

Higher Power Will Magui re Years ago, as a much younger man, I worked for a short time on a fishing boat off the Cape. The job was mainly hauling nets and pouring the catch into holds and cleaning the decks. But this was near the whale routes, so every once in a while, when the sea was quiet, I could feel something great and close — but always hidden beneath the surface. The waves would shudder slightly, and though I could never see it clearly, there was the feeling of a presence larger and closer than it should be. Powerful but hidden. Terrible and beautiful at once. Sometimes if I looked at just the right moment I could see its shadow. And every once in a great while the shadow would come crashing through the surface — visible for just an instant before being pulled back below. When I was growing up, my folks had a house near the transformer that was the main electrical line into town. It was a large steel tower draped with thick cables. Most of the tim